Friday 25 March 2011

Friday Plant of the Week

This Flowering Red Currant (Ribes sanguineum) is, in my opinion, at it's very best right now.  The leaves are still quite sparse, the flowering pendulums are yet to fully open, but I like this stage best, - it's full of potential. 


Later, after flowering rather spectacularly, the Ribes will just turn into a boring old bush (Sorry Mr Ribes!), so I'm enjoying it's flowering pinkness while it lasts.

 

I just looked up the meaning of it's Latin name.  Apparently "Ribes" means acid-tasting (fruit) and "sanguineum" comes from the Latin word sanguineus, which means blood-red.  Makes sense.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I did not know there were flowering currents they are really lovely. Here we grow our currents under shade cloth because otherwise they would get burnt.

    Deborah
    South australia

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your comments